Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Lavender [Deco Color Paint Pens on Ampersand Clayboard]

Memories can be triggered by any of the senses. Smell and music seem to be the quickest gateways to memory lane for me.

Last night the scent of lavender perfumed my apartment. It triggered memories of my mom, Amy, who passed away six and a half years ago.

She spoke French fluently and spent time living in Aix en Provence as a young adult. My mom loved the romance, beauty, and charm of Europe. When she could not be in France, she enjoyed taking theater classes in French and practicing her language skills with other enthusiasts in Salt Lake.

As a child, I remember her visiting Europe on several vacations. When she returned home, she always came back with goodies in her suitcase. I especially loved the potpourri from Provence. My mom adored lavender scented lotions and fragrances and even grew the plant in her garden, to which she devoted much time.

So...With these thoughts on my mind, I doodled this simple but colorful representation of my nostalgia.

My mom's favorite nickname for me was "Doodles," so today I honor her by sharing my doodles.

Lavender

No comments: