Friday, July 31, 2015

Study for Summer Seashells

This work entitled "Study for Summer Seashells" was inspired by my love for color, line work, and of course...seashells. 

As a kid, I loved to collect shells on the beach when we visited Mexico. I would comb the beach from our rented condo in Akumal all the way to La Buena Vida--the local lunch spot, surrounded by turquoise seas and white beaches. 

I was fascinated that every shell had a different pattern, texture, and color--no two seemed to be the same. As a child, these collectables were treasures to me. Today, a beautiful nostalgia accompanies this visual language of seashells. When I see them, I think of salty air, breezy sunsets, warm sun beating down on my shoulders, and the coolness of the ocean, overtaking me as I bobbed up and down in the waves of the Mayan Riviera. 

Tropical climates have always made me feel alive, and I am blessed to have these memories and now to live just a drive away from the sea in Los Angeles. 

This work is a tribute to the gorgeous colors of Mexico and to the wonderful memories that I have from family trips to Akumal with my mom, Rab, and The Lundgrens. I will be creating a series of 8 seashell studies to start, using Deco Color paint pens on Ampersand Clayboard.

I hope that you enjoy my posts. <3 Happy Friday.

Study for Summer Seashells

Study for Raspberry Seashells


1 comment:

pbasmadj said...

Ahh mazing